Last Updated: 2008-02-13
Identification of a patient's illness or disease, often coded using a standardized classification system, such as ICD-9-CM or DSM-IV (for mental health disorders). For each patient discharged from hospital, there can be several diagnoses reported, including the most responsible diagnosis and any secondary diagnoses / conditions present.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- Illness / Cognitive Impairment
- International Classification of Diseases (ICD)
- International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, with Clinical Modifications (ICD-9-CM)
- Most Responsible Diagnosis
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada