Term: Principal Diagnosis
Last Updated: 2007-09-26
Used in the United States to represent the discharge diagnosis responsible for the hospital admission. Studies have shown a 98% equivalence rate for AMI, comparing with the term "primary diagnosis" that is used in Canada. Also referred to as Most Responsible Diagnosis.
- Avoidable Hospitalization For Immunizable and Preventable Infections
- Most Responsible Diagnosis
- Primary Diagnosis
- Mustard CA, Derksen S, Kozyrskyj A. A Description of the Use of Insured Health Care Services by Income Assistance Recipients in the Province of Manitoba: A Pilot Study. Recipients of Income Assistance for Mental Health Disability. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy and Evaluation, 2000. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Tataryn DJ, Mustard CA, Derksen S. The Utilization of Medical Services for Mental Health Disorders, Manitoba: 1991 - 1992 . Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy and Evaluation, 1994. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Tu JV, Austin PC, Walld R, Roos L, Agras J, McDonald KM. Development and validation of the Ontario acute myocardial infarction mortality prediction rules. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001;37(4):992-997. [Abstract] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada