Term: Quality Indicators (QIs) - Quality of Care Indicators
Last Updated: 2013-03-25
Markers that have been developed at MCHP to reflect the presence or absence of potential shortcomings in the provision of healthcare/primary care. These indicators are not intended to identify definitive problems in the quality of healthcare provision, but rather are intended to serve as triggers for decision-makers and healthcare providers to conduct further investigation/exploration. The four types of Quality Indicators (QIs) include: 1). Diagnostic; 2). Outcome; 3). Process; and 4).Structural.
In Katz et al. (2013), process indicators and health outcomes (outcome indicators) were investigated. Process quality indicators reflect the standards of care provided by evaluating the clinical and interpersonal effectiveness (care) of healthcare staff. Outcome quality indicators reflect the consequences of care by evaluating the health status of individuals (Campbell et al., 2000).
- Diagnostic Quality Indicators (QIs)
- Outcome / Health Outcomes Quality Indicators (QIs)
- Process Quality Indicators (QIs)
- Quality Indicator (QI) Timing
- Structural Quality Indicators (QIs)
- Campbell SM, Cantrill JA, Roberts D. Prescribing indicators for UK general practice: Delphi consultation study. BMJ 2000;321(7258):425-428. [Abstract] (View)
- Doupe M, Brownell M, Kozyrskyj A, Dik N, Burchill C, Dahl M, Chateau D, De Coster C, Hinds A, Bodnarchuk J. Using Administrative Data to Develop Indicators of Quality Care in Personal Care Homes. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2006. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Katz A, Martens P, Chateau D, Bogdanovic B, Koseva I, McDougall C, Boriskewich E. Understanding the Health System Use of Ambulatory Care Patients. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2013. [Report] [Summary] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada