Term: Cost - Inpatient hospital care/day surgery
Last Updated: 2007-10-31
The cost assigned to each person that is discharged from hospital after having been admitted for an inpatient stay or day surgery. The cost is assigned using the Resource Intensity Weight (RIW™) attributed to each discharge by CIHI. This RIW is multiplied by a standard average cost per weighted case (CWC) to produce an estimated cost for each stay. Individuals receiving outpatient care (other than day surgery) are not included in the discharge database and therefore cannot have a cost assigned for their care.
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
- Cost Per Weighted Case (CPWC or CWC)
- Direct Costs of Inpatient Care
- Resource Intensity Weights (RIW™)
- Finlayson GS, Forget E, Ekuma O, Derksen S, Bond R, Martens P, De Coster C. Allocating Funds for Healthcare in Manitoba Regional Health Authorities: A First Step--Population-Based Funding. Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2007. [Report] [Summary] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada