Last Updated: 2011-10-24
The surgical removal of a gallbladder, which is done if it is inflamed, blocked, filled with gallstones, or cancerous. It can be done through an abdominal incision (open cholecystectomy) or through smaller incisions using a small video camera on a tube called a laparoscope (laparoscopic cholecystectomy). See
MedlinePlus® - Health Topics - Gallbladder Diseases
for more information.
In Fransoo et al. (2011), cholecystectomy is defined using either ICD-9-CM procedure codes 51.21 - 51.24 or CCI codes 1.OD.57, 1.OD.89 OR 1.OA.87 (with location code=right extended) in any procedure field.
- Canadian Classification of Health Interventions (CCI)
- Converted Procedure
- International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, with Clinical Modifications (ICD-9-CM)
- Bruce S, Prior H, Katz A, Taylor M, Latosinsky S, Martens P, De Coster C, Brownell M, Soodeen R, Steinbach C. Application of Patient Safety Indicators in Manitoba: A First Look. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2006. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- De Coster C, Chateau D, Dahl M, Soodeen RA, McKeen N. Waiting Times for Surgery, Manitoba 1999/2000 to 2003/04. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2007. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Fransoo R, Martens P, Prior H, Chateau D, McDougall C, Schultz J, McGowan K, Soodeen R, Bailly A. Adult Obesity in Manitoba: Prevalence, Associations, and Outcomes. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2011. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Soodeen RA, Roos LL, Peterson S. Health reform and technological change: shifting hospitalization patterns for four procedures in Manitoba. Healthc Manage Forum 2000;13(1):15-28. [Abstract] (View)
- Metge C, Chateau D, Prior H, Soodeen R, De Coster C, Barre L. Composite Measures/Indices of Health and Health System Performance. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2009. [Report] [Summary] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada