Term: Coronary Heart Disease (CHD)
Last Updated: 2010-10-05
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease (CAD), ischemic heart disease, or atherosclerotic heart disease, is the end result of the accumulation of atheromatous plaques within the walls of the arteries that supply the myocardium (the muscle of the heart). While the symptoms and signs of coronary heart disease are noted in the advanced state of disease, most individuals with coronary heart disease show no evidence of disease for decades as the disease progresses before the first onset of symptoms, often a 'sudden' heart attack, finally arise. After decades of progression, some of these atheromatous plaques may rupture and (along with the activation of the blood clotting system) start limiting blood flow to the heart muscle. The disease is the most common cause of sudden death. See
MedlinePlus® - Health Topics - Coronary Artery Disease
for more information.
MCHP has defined coronary heart disease (CHD) using the following ICD-9-CM codes: 410 (acute myocardial infarction); 411 (other acute and subacute forms of ischemic heart disease); 412 (history of myocardial infarction); 413 (angina pectoris); and 414 (all other forms of chronic ischemic heart disease) (Lix et al. 2006, 2008), and by the following ICD-10-CA codes: I20 - I25 (ischaemic heart diseases) (Lix et al. 2008).
- International Classification of Diseases, 10th Revision, with Canadian Enhancements (ICD-10-CA)
- International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, with Clinical Modifications (ICD-9-CM)
- Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD)
- Lix L, Yogendran M, Burchill C, Metge C, McKeen N, Moore D, Bond R. Defining and Validating Chronic Diseases: An Administrative Data Approach. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2006. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Lix L, Yogendran M, Mann J. Defining and Validating Chronic Diseases: An Administrative Data Approach. An Update with ICD-10-CA. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, University of Manitoba, 2008. [Report] (View)
- Finlayson G, Ekuma O, Yogendran M, Burland E, Forget E. The Additional Cost of Chronic Disease in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2010. [Report] [Summary] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada