Term: Continuing Student
Last Updated: 2010-08-16
The term "continuing student" is used to describe students who have not acquired the minimum expectations/outcomes to proceed to the next grade level, and are continuing in the program at the same grade level for part or all of the next school year.
Schools and school divisions in Manitoba no longer use the term "grade retention" to describe students who are enrolled in the same grade for two consecutive years. (Martens et al., 2010).
In Brownell et al. (2004), a high school student who is still enrolled in school, but has not made it to S4 by the 5th year and has not completed or graduated from high school was categorized as "continuing".
For more information, please read the Continuing Student / Grade Repetition concept.
NOTE: Previous MCHP research has referred to this as "grade repetition", "grade retention", "retained student" and "retention".
- Grade Repetition
- Grade Retention
- Graduation Flag
- High School Completion / Graduation
- Near Graduate
- Retained Student
- Retention - Education related
- Retention Rate - Education related
- Retention Rates, Kindergarten to Grade 8
- Withdrawn from School
- Brownell M, Roos NP, Fransoo R, Guevremont A, MacWilliam L, Derksen S, Dik N, Bogdanovic B, Sirski M. How Do Educational Outcomes Vary With Socioeconomic Status? Key Findings from the Manitoba Child Health Atlas 2004. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2004. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Martens PJ, Bartlett J, Burland E, Prior H, Burchill C, Huq S, Romphf L, Sanguins J, Carter S, Bailly A. Profile of Metis Health Status and Healthcare Utilization in Manitoba: A Population-Based Study. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2010. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada