Term: Grade 12 Standards Tests / Achievement Tests
Last Updated: 2012-10-16
Grade 12 Standards Tests / Achievement Tests are provincial exams that Grade 12 students are required to write. Individual tests are written in Language Arts (LA) and Mathematics. The standards tests / achievement tests are curriculum-based and account for 30% of the students' final course mark. Adaptations of the tests are provided for many special needs students. Exemptions can be provided on an individual basis, as required (Manitoba Education, 2012).
In MCHP publications, we have referred to both Language Arts and Mathematics exams as "Standards Tests". For the 2013
(2013/14 school year), we noticed that the mathematics tests are now referred to as "Achievement Tests" in Manitoba Education documents, publications and discussions.
Information in the MCHP Concept Dictionary has been updated to reflect this change as follows: in describing a specific type of test either "Standards" or "Achievement" is used, titles used in relevant glossary terms and concepts contain both descriptions, and in most instances they are now referred to simply as "tests".
- Grade 12 Language Arts (LA) Test Performance Outcomes by Socioeconomic Status (SES)
- Standards Tests / Achievement Tests - Test Performance and Outcomes
- Academic Year / School Year
- Grade 12 Provincial Exam Performance
- Standards Tests / Achievement Tests
- Brownell M, Chartier M, Santos R, Ekuma O, Au W, Sarkar J, MacWilliam L, Burland E, Koseva I, Guenette W. How are Manitoba's Children Doing? Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2012. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Manitoba Education. Interpreting and using results from provincial tests and assessments - a support document for teachers, administrators, and consultants. Retrieved from: http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/assess/support/results/interpreting.pdf. Accessed May 29, 2012. 2009.(View)
- Manitoba Education. Policies and procedures for standards tests. Retrieved from: http://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/assess/docs/pol_proc/document.pdf. Accessed May 25, 2012. 2011.(View)
- Brownell M, Chartier M, Au W, MacWilliam L, Schultz J, Guenette W, Valdivia J. The Educational Outcomes of Children in Care in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2015. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada