Max Rady College of Medicine
Term: Readmission / Hospital Readmission
Last Updated: 2020-05-20
This indicator measures the percent of hospital episodes after which the patient was admitted again to any hospital within one to 30 days of discharge. Only unplanned inpatient readmissions were counted, defined by admission category ‘U’ for urgent/emergent admissions. Hospital episodes combine multiple inpatient admissions of the same person to create a single continuous stay in the hospital system, linking transfers between hospitals; readmissions less than 24 hours after discharge were considered to be part of the same hospital episode. Values are age– and sex–adjusted to the Manitoba population.
All Manitoba hospitals are included. Personal care homes, nursing stations and long-term care facilities (Deer Lodge Centre, Manitoba Adolescent Treatment Centre, Rehabilitation Centre for Children, and Riverview Health Centre) are excluded. Out of province hospitalizations for Manitoba residents are also excluded. In cases of birth, both the newborn and the mother's hospitalizations were included as index hospitalizations.
For more information, see:
7.9 Hospital Readmission
in Fransoo et al. (2013);
- section 7.9 Hospital Readmission in Fransoo et al. (2019).
- Factors Associated With Readmission
- Index Event
- Neonatal Hospital Readmission
- Postpartum Hospital Readmission
- Quality of Care
- Fransoo R, Mahar A, The Need to Know Team, Anderson A, Prior H, Koseva I, McCulloch S, Jarmasz J, Burchill S. The 2019 RHA Indicators Atlas. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2019. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
Term used in
- Brownell M, Roos NP. Monitoring the Winnipeg Hospital System: The Update Report 1993/1994. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy and Evaluation, 1996. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Fransoo R, Martens P, The Need to Know Team, Prior H, Burchill C, Koseva I, Bailly A, Allegro E. The 2013 RHA Indicators Atlas. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2013. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Roos NP, Shapiro E. Monitoring the Winnipeg Hospital System: The First Report. 1990-1992 . Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy and Evaluation, 1994. [Report] [Summary] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada