Max Rady College of Medicine
Term: Vaginal Birth after Caesarean Section (VBAC)
Last Updated: 2020-05-25
Women with a prior caesarean birth who subsequently delivered vaginally.
In Heaman et al. (2012), a woman was considered to have had a previous caesarean delivery by the presence of one or more of the following codes:
ICD-9-CM: 654.20, 654.21, or 654.23;
- ICD-10-CA: O34.201, O34.203, O34.209, O34.291, O34.293, O34.299, O75.701, O75.703, O75.709.
The current delivery was considered a vaginal birth by the absence of a code indicating a caesarean birth (see
for more details). All homebirths identified from the Midwifery Discharge Summary Reports were coded as vaginal births.
In Fransoo et al. (2019), VBACs were defined as:
a hospitalization with a diagnosis of vaginal birth (ICD–10–CA code Z37) in the absence of a C-section (CCI code 5.MD.60) and with a previous hospitalization for a C-section (ICD–10–CA O34.20 or ICD–9–CM procedure codes 74.0, 74.1, 74.2, 74.4, 74.9 or CCI code 5.MD.60)
- a hospitalization for vaginal birth after C-section (ICD–10–CA code O75.7)
4.7 Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
in the deliverable
Perinatal Services and Outcomes in Manitoba
Heaman et al. (2012)
- section 10.7 Vaginal Birth after Caesarean Section (VBAC) in the devliverable The 2019 RHA Indicators Atlas by Fransoo et al. (2019)
- Fransoo R, Mahar A, The Need to Know Team, Anderson A, Prior H, Koseva I, McCulloch S, Jarmasz J, Burchill S. The 2019 RHA Indicators Atlas. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2019. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Heaman M, Kingston D, Helewa M, Brownell M, Derksen S, Bogdanovic B, McGowan K, Bailly A. Perinatal Services and Outcomes in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2012. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada