Term: Discharge Abstract Database (DAD)
Last Updated: 2010-11-05
A data file maintained by Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) containing information about almost every case that is discharged from an acute care hospital in Canada. CIHI uses these data to assign individual cases to case mix groups (CMGs™) and to calculate the appropriate resource intensity weight (RIW™) to every case.
For more information on the DAD see:
CIHI Web Site - DAD Metadata at:
- the MCHP Data Repository Hospital Abstracts Data Description for more information on how the DAD is incorporated into the MCHP Data Repository Hospital Abstracts data.
- Caesarean Section / Cesarean Section (C-Section)
- Case Mix Groups (CMG™) - Overview
- Day Surgery Hospitalizations
- ICD-10 to ICD-9-CM Conversion
- Acute Care Hospitals
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
- Case Mix Groups (CMG™)
- Hospital Abstracts Data
- Resource Intensity Weights (RIW™)
- Service Codes
- Finlayson G, Reimer J, Dahl M, Stargardter M, McGowan K. The Direct Cost of Hospitalizations in Manitoba, 2005/06. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2009. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada