Term: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
Last Updated: 2012-06-21
A term that describes a wide range of effects that can occur in an individual who was exposed to alcohol during pregnancy (Chudley et al., 2005). Some of these effects last a lifetime and may include physical, mental, behavioural, and cognitive disabilities (Streissguth et al., 2004).
In Brownell et al. (2012), FASD was defined for children aged 0 to 19 with a diagnosis of 'ARND' (alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder), 'ARND/ARBD' (alcohol-related birth defects), 'FAS' (fetal alcohol syndrome), 'FAS/ARBD', or 'Partial FAS', which are diagnostic categories taken from the Manitoba FASD Centre clinical database.
- Assessed for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
- Biological Children at Enrolment Form
- Insight Mentoring Program (IFASD) Data
- Manitoba Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Data
- Chudley A, Conry J, Cook J, Loock C, Rosales T, LeBlanc N, Public Health Agency of Canada's National Advisory Committee on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: Canadian Guidelines for Diagnosis. CMAJ 2005;172(Suppl 5):S1-S21.(View)
- Streissguth AP, Bookstein FL, Barr HM, Sampson PD, O'Malley K, Young JK. Risk factors for adverse life outcomes in fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol effects. J Dev Behav Pediatr 2004;25(4):228-238.(View)
- Brownell M, Chartier M, Santos R, Ekuma O, Au W, Sarkar J, MacWilliam L, Burland E, Koseva I, Guenette W. How are Manitoba's Children Doing? Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2012. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Chartier M, Finlayson G, Prior H, McGowan K, Chen H, de Rocquigny J, Walld R, Gousseau M. Health and Healthcare Utilization of Francophones in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2012. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Heaman M, Kingston D, Helewa M, Brownell M, Derksen S, Bogdanovic B, McGowan K, Bailly A. Perinatal Services and Outcomes in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2012. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] (View)
- Ruth C, Brownell M, Isbister J, MacWilliam L, Gammon H, Singal D, Soodeen R, McGowan K, Kulbaba C, Boriskewich E. Long-Term Outcomes Of Manitoba's Insight Mentoring Program: A Comparative Statistical Analysis . Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2015. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada