Term: Ambulatory Visits - Primary Care Provider / Ambulatory Primary Care Visits
Last Updated: 2020-05-20
Ambulatory visits – Primary care provider is defined as the number visits to a primary care provider in an outpatient setting. Primary care providers are professionals that provide primary care services to patients. In MCHP research, primary care providers include Family Physicians (FP) and Nurse Practitioners. Outpatient settings generally include office visits, walk-in clinics and home visits. Visits by patients who are inpatients (admitted to an acute care hospital or personal care home) are not considered ambulatory visits. Outpatient surgeries and diagnostic tests and procedures are also not considered ambulatory visits.
For more information see:
Ambulatory Primary Care Visits
from Katz et al. (2019) deliverable and
Technical Definitions of Indicators and Drug Codes from online supplement material from Katz et al. (2019).
- Read the Ambulatory Visits concept.
Note: Nurse Practitioners started being recorded in Medical Services Data in 2005.
- Ambulatory Care Physician Visits
- Ambulatory Visits - Physician
- Ambulatory Visits by Age and Sex
- Ambulatory Visits to Specialists / Ambulatory Specialist Visits
- Causes of Ambulatory Visits
- Family Physician (FP) / Family Physicians
- Location of Visits to Physicians / Primary Care Providers
- Nurse Practitioner / Nurse Practitioners
- Primary Care
- Primary Care Providers
- Use of / Access to Physicians / Primary Care Providers
- Chateau D, Doupe M, Prior H, Soodeen RA, Sarkar J, Dragan R, Stevenson D, Rajotte L. The Health Status of Community-Dwelling Older Adults in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2019. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Fransoo R, Mahar A, The Need to Know Team, Anderson A, Prior H, Koseva I, McCulloch S, Jarmasz J, Burchill S. The 2019 RHA Indicators Atlas. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2019. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Katz A, Avery Kinew K, Star L, Taylor C, Koseva I, Lavoie J, Burchill C, Urquia M, Basham A, Rajotte L, Ramayanam V, Jarmasz J, Burchill S. The Health Status of and Access to Healthcare by Registered First Nation Peoples in Manitoba. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2019. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada