Term: First Nations Schools
Last Updated: 2013-02-14
These are schools located in Manitoba that are operated by the First Nations communities in which they are located. Because First Nations schools come under federal jurisdiction, they are not required to submit enrolment or assessment data to the provincial Department of Education; and although many do, data from these schools are incomplete. For this reason, children attending First Nations schools are most often excluded from analyses.
For a list of school codes and school names and a SAS® format that were used to identify First Nations schools in Brownell et al. (2012), please see the Links section below (internal access only).
NOTE: First Nations schools are previously referred to as Band-operated schools in MCHP research (Brownell et al. 2004, 2008).
- Aboriginal Peoples
- First Nations Community
- Grade 12 Provincial Exam Performance
- Grade 3 Students with No School Changes
- High School Completion Rates Within Six Years of Grade 9
- Standards Tests / Achievement Tests
- Brownell M, Chartier M, Santos R, Ekuma O, Au W, Sarkar J, MacWilliam L, Burland E, Koseva I, Guenette W. How are Manitoba's Children Doing? Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2012. [Report] [Summary] [Updates and Errata] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Brownell M, Roos NP, Fransoo R, Guevremont A, MacWilliam L, Derksen S, Dik N, Bogdanovic B, Sirski M. How Do Educational Outcomes Vary With Socioeconomic Status? Key Findings from the Manitoba Child Health Atlas 2004. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2004. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Brownell M, De Coster C, Penfold R, Derksen S, Au W, Schultz J, Dahl M. Manitoba Child Health Atlas Update. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2008. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada