Term: Hospital Use
Last Updated: 2011-06-02
The use of hospital services, within a specified period of time, based on the number of patients within a facility and length of stay. This definition has been used differently in research projects conducted at the Manitoba Centre for Health Policy (MCHP).
Menec et al. (1999) used the average daily number of patients in hospital, based on admissions and separations data to measure hospital use.
Martens et al. (2004) examined the use of hospital services by a cohort over a five year period. Separations, long-stay days, and short-stay days were included in the analysis. Both "all-cause use" and "for mental illness" were examined. For the latter, a mental disorder was the most responsible diagnosis for the hospitalization. Hospitalization patterns in Eden and Selkirk Mental Health Centres, the province's two mental health institutions, from closed cases in MHMIS, were also examined.
- Long Stay Days
- Mental Health Management Information System (MHMIS)
- Resource Use
- Short Stay Days
- Use of Hospitals / Access to Hospitals
- Martens PJ, Fransoo R, McKeen N, The Need to Know Team, Burland E, Jebamani L, Burchill C, De Coster C, Ekuma O, Prior H, Chateau D, Robinson R, Metge C. Patterns of Regional Mental Illness Disorder Diagnoses and Service Use in Manitoba: A Population-Based Study. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2004. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
- Menec V, Roos NP, Nowicki D, MacWilliam L, Finlayson G, Black C. Seasonal Patterns of Winnipeg Hospital Use. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Center for Health Policy and Evaluation, 1999. [Report] [Summary] (View)
- Finlayson M, Lix L, Finlayson G, Fong T. Trends in the utilization of specific health care services among older Manitobans: 1985 to 2000. Can J Aging 2005;24 Suppl 1(1 Suppl):15-27. [Abstract] (View)
- Fransoo R, Martens P, The Need to Know Team, Prior H, Burchill C, Koseva I, Bailly A, Allegro E. The 2013 RHA Indicators Atlas. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2013. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada