Max Rady College of Medicine
Concept: Public Trustee Office and MCHP Data
Last Updated: 2001-12-01
The following information was reported Jan. 21, 1994.
The Office of the Public Trustee has the responsibility to look after the financial and other affairs of residents unable to do so themselves. These individuals can be of any age (many likely are elderly without dependents) who cannot look after their own affairs. Because this office has total responsibility for such persons their address of record in the Manitoba Health Insurance Registry is one of those noted in the Public Trustee Addresses concept (internal access only) .
If you are looking at regional utilization you should be aware that these individuals may represent a sizable portion of Winnipeg core area, and possibly Brandon. These two postal codes fall into the lowest income group. Individuals from the Winnipeg Public Trustee's office have a major impact on core area residents use of hospitals for chronic stays. For now these individuals should be excluded from any core area analysis.
Rates of Separation for Core Area Winnipeg
The following table identifies the rates of separation for the core area of Winnipeg.
Rate/1000With Public Trustee
Rate/1000Without Public Trustee
The separation rates for Core Area Winnipeg are almost doubled by the inclusion of individuals from the Public Trustee's office.
- Community Centre Areas (CCAs)
- Manitoba Health Insurance Registry / MCHP Research Registry - Overview
- Postal Codes and Coding Methods in Manitoba Health Claims Data
- Premature Mortality Rate (PMR) - Exclusion of Long Term Care (LTC) Facilities and Personal Care Homes (PCH)
- Winnipeg Area Definitions
- Manitoba Health Insurance Registry Data
- Postal Code
- Public Trustee Office / Public Guardian and Trustee
- Wards of the Public Trustee / Public Trustee Wards
- Fransoo R, Martens P, Burland E, The Need to Know Team, Prior H, Burchill C. Manitoba RHA Indicators Atlas 2009. Winnipeg, MB: Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, 2009. [Report] [Summary] [Additional Materials] (View)
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
Community Health Sciences, Max Rady College of Medicine,
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences,
Room 408-727 McDermot Ave.
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P5 Canada